#UCEngineers

Cybersecurity-CTA

Riverside, Ca –

Cynthia Guidry, B.S. ’92, Civil Engineering

Deputy Executive Director of Planning and Development, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA)

Guidry was the first in her family to go to college. She chose a UC because it was close to home and she could commute, which was a significant financial savings for her parents. As a young African American female in a male-dominated major, many challenging situations made her question whether she would make it.

She credits the UC chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) for becoming an instant and important support network. “I was able meet fellow undergrads going through the same experience as I was, as well as meet UCI Black Engineering alumnae who encouraged and inspired me to hang in there.”

Guidry became president of the UC NSBE chapter, and under her guidance, the chapter hosted a multiday regional leadership conference. “Organizing that memorable conference, obtaining financial donations and sponsorship by local Irvine technical firms, and getting the support from UC made me proud to be an Anteater and gave me confidence and trust in a school where I was in the minority. It gave me a valuable experience that translated into my professional career.”

Today Guidry leads nearly 400 engineers, architects, planners, inspectors, administrators and other professionals. Her group is responsible for planning, designing and building the Los Angeles airports’ $14 billion capital improvement programs to deliver world-class facilities to the entire region. Her team was responsible for developing the concept plans for the $5.5 billion Landside Access Modernization Program, including an automated people mover, a consolidated car rental facility and intermodal transportation facilities, which will dramatically improve access in and around LAX.